Yvonne was trained as an educator and taught for a number of years before joining MOE as a Guidance Officer. In her work as a Guidance Officer, she played a key role in pioneering the development of the MOE’s Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) Framework for schools. Yvonne also reviewed and enhanced the professional development programmes for teachers in areas pertaining to career guidance and psychological well-being. Yvonne has fifteen years of clinical experience, working extensively on mental health issues with students both in local and international schools. In addition, she is also an experienced clinical supervisor and has supervised counsellors from schools, the Gifted Education Branch (MOE), the University Health Centre (NUS), and graduate students undertaking counselling training.
She graduated with a Master of Social Science in Professional Counselling, a Postgraduate Diploma in Education and an Advanced Post-Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling. Her PhD research was in complex trauma in children in Singapore. She is proficient with a variety of therapeutic methods including psychodynamic, Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR), client-centred approach, and cognitive behavioural methods.
Apart from her clinical work, Yvonne has been invited numerous times to speak on different platforms to various stakeholders about children and youth’s mental health and their psychological well-being. Yvonne firmly believes that each child has a voice. She counts it as a blessing to be able to hear and connect with each voice and to support each child in his/her journey of growth. During her free time, Yvonne enjoys long walks and a good meal with friends and family.
- Children and Adolescents
- Trauma-Based Therapy (i.e. Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing – EMDR)
Certifications and Accreditations
- PhD., Swinburne University of Technology
- Masters of Social Science in Professional Counselling, Swinburne University of Technology
- Advanced Post-Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling, National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling, National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Bachelor of Business (Honours), Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore